Vanilla custard, soft, fluffy and full of good sweetness. I could eat this just as it is, from a small cup with a pinch of cinnamon. But it can also be used for a lot of baking and pastry.
So let’s just jump right into it!
- 500 g full-fat milk
- 20 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 40 g corn starch
- 100 g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 40 g of butter
- Start by mixing the milk and 20 g of sugar in a kettle.
- Slice the vanilla pod open, scrape out the seeds and throw it all into the milk (the pod too).
- Bring the milk to a gentle boil and turn off the heat. Make sure to stir the mixture while heating so it doesn't burn. When the mix starts boiling, turn off the top and let it sit for 20 min.
- Now in another bowl whisk egg yolks, sugar, and starch until white.
- Add 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg mixture. While adding the milk make sure to whisk Al the time.
- Now add the egg mix (with the 1/3 of the milk) into the remaining milk. Bring it all to a boil, and for god's sake keep stirring!
- Boil for 1 minute and take the mixture off the heat.
- Add the butter and stir until smooth.
- Place the kettle in cold water to while stirring to avoid burning.
- Let a piece of plastic film on the surface of the cream before you leave it to cool in the fridge.