So here is a basic dough for you, Sweet pie pastry! This one can be used for a vast variety of pies lemon meringue pie is one of them. This pie needs to be pre-baked. This is done to prevent the pie crust from becoming soggy. It is also important to fill the Sweet pie pastry with some content like cooked ceramics or rice to be sure that the edges of the pie don’t fall when you pre-bake it. It is also quite a common goal for the pie dough to get it as “crumbly” as possible. To achieve this it is important that you knead this dough as little as possible. So now that you got the basics of the pie dough lets to get on with the recipe.
Sweet pie dough
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Pie pan
- Greaseproof paper
- 150 g unsalted butter
- ¼ ts salt
- 100 g icing sugar
- 2 large egg (one for brushing)
- 250 g flour
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add the wet and knead as little as possible until the dough is evenly mixed
- Wrap the dough in plastic and leave it in the fridge for 30- 60 minutes
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface, make sure to flip the dough around often so it doesn’t stick to the surface.
- Lift the dough over to your form with the help of the rolling pin.
- Trim off the edges and prickle the bottom of the dough with a fork
- Leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Set the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Add a sheet of greaseproof paper and fill the form with peas or rice
- Bake for about 20 minutes
- Reduce the heat to 160 degrees Celcius
- Take out the rice and greaseproof paper and brush the pastry with a mixed egg yolk
- bake for another 7 minutes (or until light brown)