So Pizza sauce is an important one! It is one of the two basics to make a fabulous pizza! To do this right it is absolutely necessary that you get some good tomatoes. I usually go for a mix of cherry, Picollo, cocktail, and Perle tomatoes. But hey, there are no rules here so you can use whatever you like. How much do I need, you ask? Well, grab one of your bigger kettles and fill it up with halved tomatoes. Trust me, we are going to get rid of a lot of the water in these babies so the amount will be reduced, and should you get any leftovers you can keep it in the freezer.
- Cutting board
- Kitchen towel
- 500 g of piccolo tomatoes
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 500 g perl tomatoes
- 500 g cocktail tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and half all of your tomatoes and put them in the kettle with some Olive oil. Use medium-high heat and stir it until you see that the skin is starting to let go. Now, this should not take to long depending on your tomatoes and the amount, but don’t let them sweat for too long, just enough to let the skin go.
- Run them all through a blender until you have a kind of smoothie like texture.
- Then strain the mix through a fine sieve and discard the seeds and skin leftovers.
- Here comes the important part, let it run through a sieve for the second time, only this time you put a piece of cloth inside the sieve. It can be a kitchen towel or an old (clean) t-shirt for that matter but don’t use your best one because this is going to leave a stain. Now let the mix sit like this for a couple of hours until you have a viscous fluid under the sieve and a thick paste left in the cloth. This is going to take time to get strained through the cloth so just let it sit there and do something else while you are waiting.
- You will need both the paste left in the cloth and the fluid under, so don’t discard any, but start by scraping the paste off the cloth into a temporary bowl.
- Put the tomato fluid into a kettle and boil it until it becomes a thick syrup.
- Then let the syrup cool down and mix it with the paste and add garlic, salt, and pepper for taste.
- You are now ready to make the perfect pizza! Well almost, you’re also going to need some quick pizza dough!