Here comes another addition that no Mexican food should be served without. Pico de gallo essentially means beak of the rooster but is sometimes also referred to as Salsa Fresca. It is a mix of tomatoes, onion, and some other veggies and spices that will give extra texture and flavor to your dish. Pico de gallo can also be served as a salad and I for one love to use it as a side dish for many fish or grilled meat dishes. It is also a side dish that will bring some color to the whole if you need an extra touch on your dish.
Pico de Gallo
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- 5-7 piccolo tomatoes
- 5-7 cherry tomatoes
- 5-7 black cherry tomatoes
- 5-7 yellow piccolo tomatoes
- 5-7 red pearl tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- Olive oil
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 garlic clove
- a handful of chopped coriander leafs
- 1 Pinch of Pepper
- 1 pinch of cumin
- Wash all your ingredients
- Half, quarter or dice your tomatoes depending on their sizes, and put them in a bowl.
- Dice your red onion and add these into the tomato mix.
- Sprinkle some salt over and give it a toss. This will make the tomatoes release its juices.
- Grate the zest of the lime on top, then cut in half, squeeze your juice and store for late
- Grab your mortar and give your garlic clove a serious beating.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the seasoning oil, including that lime juice that you stored, and mix it all up.
- Pour the oil over your tomatoes and give it a mix.