IOn the outskirts of Sandefjord, Norway, there is a small town called “Kjerringvik”. Growing up there I still remember me and my friends fishing at the local fisherman’s pier. While we were lucky enough to get fresh cod we also chose to fish there because we knew that when the local boats arrived back we could get some freshly boiled shrimps. And every once in awhile we would get a handful of warm crayfish. This memory has burned into my taste buds and to this day I love crayfish. Whenever I go back to Kjerringvik I always check if I can get my hands on some local crayfish. Now some weeks ago I was in luck and I and Rita had a feast. This recipe I made in my woodfired oven, you can just as well make this in your home oven.
Grilled crayfish with homemade Mayonnaise
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Start by getting your mayonnaise ready.
- set your oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Brake of the claws and crush them lightly with a hammer.
- Split the crayfish on the long edge. Grab a sturdy knife and run the tip through the head right behind the eyes. Fold the tail flat out fold the knife down to split the crayfish in two.
- spread the crayfish out on a baking tray.
- Pop the butter, dill, garlic, parsley, and chives into a blender and spin it all until you have a creamy butter.
- Add the butter to a piping bag and squeeze out a string of butter on top of all the white meat on the crayfish tails.
- Bake the crayfish and claws until all the butter is melted and bubbling.at the end of the baking time add some bread to make it warm and crisp for serving.
- Add some butter on the toast and serve with a piece of fresh lemon.